This blog is going to be about my new adventure with cooking. My whole life I have convinced myself that I couldn't cook. Yeah, if it came out of a box I could follow the instructions and make it. And on a few occasions I got a wild hair and made something from a recipe. But, if the instructions said it should take a half an hour, you could safely bet that it would take me at least an hour or more. I wasn't able to multitask when it came to cooking either. Inevitably, something would get burned.
But, I have been trying to cook lately. I don't know exactly what brought about this change, but I think it has something to do with my children. Well, I'm sure it has something to do with my children, and specifically at this point, my (at the time of this writing) 2 year old. I'm tired of feeding him total crap (figuratively speaking, I don't actually let him eat feces), and the only way to not feed him total crap is to actually cook something. Now, don't get me wrong, he still gets total crap, mostly for lunch when he is not at day care. But, I'm trying to make it so that isn't ALL he gets. Right now my second son is only 3 months, so he doesn't really care what is made for dinner as his still comes from the boob.
Anyway, my point in starting this blog is really as a place that I can brag about the meals that I cook. Yup, I am here to brag. And maybe inspire someone else who thinks they can't cook. I will try my best to write a new post every time I cook something that isn't from a box....or at least isn't entirely from a box; side dishes will still occasionally be total crap. But not always....
Oh, and I'm sure I'll gush about something new my boys have done or some cute thing they said, too. What mom is able to keep from talking about their kids?
And I'm sorry, but I can't post about dinner tonight, as my husband made dinner...from a box. But he did add some stuff to it: Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (the dinner type with the creamy cheese, not the neon powder stuff) with onions and ham. I could post what I cooked last night, but I'm tired (what? I have a 3 month old, I'm allowed to be tired at 9pm). But I promise to write a new blog post tomorrow about what I made last night because it was really yummy!
AWESOME!
ReplyDeleteI will offer a few suggestions:
Saving Dinner - website of the same name as the several cookbooks with that name. Leanne Ely is the nutritionist behind it. Meals are lined up by season so you get the freshest ingredients, and with 6 recipes per week of each season. You saw my copy - you know it's good when pages fall out of it.
Weber's Real Grilling - that pork loin recipe is in it and easy enough that both my boys have grilled it when the Devildog was working, at softball or sleeping because he was working stupid shifts.
The Pioneer Woman - I've tried several of the recipes there and they're awesome! She still blogs, but now she's also on Food Network.
Thanks for those suggestions. I've thought about finding a copy of Saving Dinner since you've raved about it so much. And I've seen the commercials for the Pioneer Woman on Food Network but never went searching for her blog. I may do that soon. And that pork loin was delicious!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteFirst off you cook very well...and I always knew you could. However up till not it's just been that you really didn't want to :P
ReplyDeleteHowever I have to say everything you have made has been awesome, not to mention the steaks you made last night GOD THOSE WERE GOOD !!!
Love you,
(And no I didn't just write it because your my wife and I love you, I mean it !)